Made with 💙 by me (how to).
Dedicated to my family.
Basically everything connected to learning.
How do you learn/take notes? You need a personal knowledge management system, (PKM, Second Brain, Exocortex, Vaults, ...)
Who is working on this?
Me! Looking for developers to help me build the perfect note taking system!
Why? I do not believe the current solutions (Notion, Obsidian, RemNote, Roam, SuperMemo) out there are sufficient. But this doesn't mean the perfect system isn't possible do design.
What are some constraints your Second Brain Software needs to fullfill?
- Integrate easily with the rest of your life
- Part of your Life OS (connected to your task manager, calender, etc.)
- Quick Capture
- Have algorithmic resurfacing
- This is where most apps fall short, only SuperMemo has attempted to really solve this. But large collections are useless if you don't revisit content at the right time. This is true for flashcards (like Anki, but that doesn't have quick capture)
- So ideally we want an algorithm that predicts what note to show you at what time, based on your situation in life. This is what we are going to build!
- Collaboration, sharing and publishing
- Because rationality is a social endeavor. Ok, more practical, your second brain is there to put you in a position to create - and this goes faster, the faster your feedback loops are.
- Direct-to-web publishing is awesome for building public evergreen notes, if implemented properly this can reduce a lot of work at the levelPost-Creation |
- The opposite of sharing, but there are large parts that you want to have
- Locally stored
- Exportable (no vendor login)
- The rest from Tiago Forte:
- Templating and Duplication
- Access anywhere
- Linking to the web and Biderectional linking inside the system
- Meta-Data (relations / categories / labels / formulas / etc.)
This is crucial for you sticking with it for a long time. Also benefits Just-In-Time learning, Incremental Diary and resurfacing knowledge in context. Your knowledge does not constitute only of flashcards! Who you met, where you have been and what you want to do are also “knowledge”
Less friction = more usage, its that simple
Having a good API lets you build a Readwise “Book/articles/Podcast/Newsletter” Pipeline. I have a firstname.lastname@example.org Mail that collects stuff I want to read, you can use it too ;)
Soo, what tool can fullfill all these criteria?
Most try to connect different apps to build a system, but in the end we want to have one solution. I think its totally possible to build exactly that.
There is currently only one company that I think has a good shot at fullfilling all of the above constraints: AnyType.
AnyType (at least the beta, its currently in cloaest alpha and doesn't have feature parity) is:
- Build around building a Life OS
- So native focus on Notes, Tasks, Contacts, etc.
- Android/iOS/Windows/Mac app, with local storage, so extemly fast quick capture (I don't know if web is planned)
- Has an API
- Will have a large sharing ecosystem
- e2e encrypted, local storage
- Search works + Graph view!
- Templates (Types) are a core part (and you can create sets (similar to databases) of similar things)
- IPFS distribution so it still works on multiple devices
- Upgradeble, as Open Source, so many Extensions will come around
- Links to Web + biderectional relations
- Multimedia (no handwriting as of yet)
- Relations are core again and even more flexible then in Notion
So whats missing?
Just a good algorithm to serve you the next content!
This is why I am building AnyThought, an extension that allows spaced repetition within AnyType.